Saturday 26 January 2008

WHAT'S THE BIG DEAL?

I find that film sound so easily goes unappreciated.

Having discovered some of the techniques and processes involved in audio post-production, I have come to appreciate the sound vastly more than I had done previously. Knowing that the majority of the sound in films is added afterwards has changed the way I watch films, as I now listen much more closely to the sound, particularly the sound effects and Foley. A recent key example of the importance of sound effects in story-line that stood out for me was in The Bourne Ultimatum during the fight scene between Bourne and an assassin in a shower. During the course of the fight, the assassin drops the knife which he has been trying to use against Bourne, which is difficult (or maybe impossible) to see on camera, but the viewer is left in no doubt that the knife has been dropped, because of the clear sound of it landing on the floor.

Having recently watched horror films The Sixth Sense and Psycho, so much of the suspense and fear is created by the sound – watching these (and most others) on mute takes a huge amount of impact away from the film. For Psycho in particular, it’s the musical score that really stands in the audio – Bernard Hermann’s score for is famous for its screeching strings which add so much to the horror of the film.

Throughout the course of this project, I have a feeling I’m going to come to appreciate film sound a whole lot more.


USEFUL LINKS
http://filmsounddaily.blogspot.com/
http://filmsound.org/

No comments: